Cullen House is the family seat of the Earls of Seafield.
The House dates from 1602 and has been extended over the centuries. Between 1982 and 1985, it was converted into separate private dwellings, but in 1987 a serious fire destroyed part of the building. This has now been fully restored.
The first Earl of Seafield’s was from a branch of the Ogilvy family descended from Sir Walter Ogilvy, whose brother Sir John Ogilvy was the ancestor of the Earls of Airlie.
On the death of James Ogilvy the 4th Earl of Seafield, the title was inherited by the late Earl’s second cousin Sir Lewis Alexander Grant, 9th Baronet, of Colquhoun. He was the grandson of Lady Margaret Ogilvy, daughter of the first Earl of Seafield.
Many Earls of Seafield are buried at the mausoleum at Duthil Old Parish Church and Churchyard, which lies just outside the village of Duthil, Inverness-shire, and now serves as a Clan Grant Centre.
Visit website link for a walk of approx. 1-2 hrs from The Square in Cullen town centre to Cullen House and Cullen Auld Kirk : http://www.discovercullen.com/localwalk-cullen-house.php
Please Note that the grounds are open from 1.30pm – 4.30pm on Tuesdays and Fridays.