Kilnmichael House was originally part of the property owned by the Bishop of Moray but sold to Sir Walter Stewart (great grandson of Robert II) in 1490. The property was eventually sold to the Gordons by a grandson of Alexander Stewart, Earl of Buchan, the Wolf of Badenoch.
The current house dates from the 17th century and was purchased by the Laird of Grant in the 18th century. The house and estates eventually formed part of the Ballindalloch Estates in the 1980s.
The house now lies in ruins.