Prestongrange House was known as Newbattle Grange the Norman family, de Quincy, had the estate until they supported the losing side in the run-up to Bannockburn.
It was then bequeathed in 1184 to the monks of Newbattle Abbey by Robert de Quincy, Earl of Winchester.
The estate passed from Newbattle Abbey, who had started coal mining here by the 13th century, to the Kerrs family, later Earls of Lothian, and Mark Kerr, Lord Newbattle, had a ratification of 1587 which mentions the manor. The property was sold to the Morrisons in 1609, and Sir Alexander Morrison of Prestongrange is mentioned in the 1640s, then William Morrison of Prestongrange in the 1690s and 1700s.
In 1746 Prestongrange was bought by William Grant, Lord Prestongrange and Lord Advocate, and then later passed to the Grant-Sutties, after Agnes Grant, his daughter, married Sir George Suttie of Balgone. A painted ceiling, dating from 1581, was discovered during alterations in 1965 and was removed to and reset in Merchiston Castle, which is now part of Napier University. The Grant-Sutties family moved out at the beginning of the 20th century, and the building now houses the clubhouse of the Royal Musselburgh Golf Club, which was founded in 1774 and is the fifth oldest golf club in the world.