The Original Tulchan Lodge, known as Dalchroy House at the time was built in 1879 by the Earl of Seafield, John Charles Ogilvy-Grant. The lodge was later used by Sir Phillip Sassoon, a close friend and financial advisor to HM King Edward VII.
Sir Philip Sassoon introduced a friend George McCorquodale to Strathspey at the turn of the 20thCentury. It was George McCorquodale who later in 1906 built the present Tulchan Lodge, the new Dalchroy House following the loss of the original house to fire.
In 1915 Sir Phillip Sassoon left Scotland leaving McCorquodale as sole tenant of all fishing, shooting and stalking rights at Tulchan. He died in 1938 and is buried with his wife and only son in the graveyard overlooking the Churchyard pool.
Tenancy and sporting rights then reverted to the Seafield Estates, at which point The Earl of Seafield renamed the house Tulchan Lodge. Tulchan Water has a royal heritage, guests including King Edward VII, King George V and King George VI attracted by some of the UK’s finest moors. The tall flagstaff from which the royal standard was flown, viewed west of the lodge above Allt Lua Chair Burn and King Edward’s Hut are a reminder of royal days. Other guests included ex-president Theodore Roosevelt, banker JP Morgan, the railway financier William Vanderbilt, the Grand Duke of Luxembourg and King Leopold of Belgium
The death of the Countess of Seafield in 1969 resulted in significant change to the estate. In 1971 as part of the re-organisation of the Seafield Estates, the lodge and surrounding lands came into ownership of a London-based financial institution at which point some 22,000 acres became known as Tulchan Estate. Five years later the Swiss businessman Gerald Panchaud bought Tulchan Estate and embarked on a major programme of works with the aim of making the sporting and fishing facilities second to none in Scotland. In 1993 the estate was bought by present owners Leon and Gillian Litchfield, with the clear aim to maintain and improve the first class facilities. Over the past ten years Tulchan Estate has re-acquired substantial areas of land and property, bringing the total estate close to 26,000 acres and creating a sporting and wildlife paradise
The estate is a diverse rural business with first class accommodation and catering, renowned salmon fishing, high bird pheasant shoot, red and roe deer stalking, grouse moors, forestry, in-hand and tenanted farms and a full time staff of more than forty whose job it is to care for the estate and its guests year round.